Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Tight Christmas Budget: Look at your limitations as Blessings

This year my Christmas budget is basically non-existent.  You can read about my on purpose brokeness here.  Instead of becoming stressed and depressed over what I may not be able to do or have this year I am choosing to see my limitations as blessings!  In my last post, I asked all of us to think about all the ways the holidays cost money, even before buying gifts.  Were any of you shocked to find so many, many ways the holidays demands your whole wallet and then some?

My personal list of money costing items include:
  • one new ornament for each child 
  • a new Christmas tree topper (ours fell to its death last year)
  • possibly replacing some lights
  • at least 3 dinners out with various groups, including Sunday School classes
  • gift exchanges the kids might be involved in at school or extra-curriculars
  • shopping the after-Christmas sales
  • Adopting a child or senior citizen from an angel tree
  • Baking supplies for extra treats and goodies
If you haven't thought about all of those extras yet, use the worksheet at the end of the expenses post to help you see where your money might be allocated for the holidays, even before you think about setting a budget for the gifts!

Here's a few ideas I have for cutting these expenses.  

by Stephanie Lynn


Maybe this year we will craft a new ornament ourselves for an Advent Activity instead of buying new ones.  Pinterest has literally tons of ideas for ornaments to make.  I really like the idea of using book pages since I can probably come up with a few books around the house to sacrifice or pick up a few at the thrift store for super cheap.  Follow my book page ornaments board.  I'll be adding more ideas over the next few days. 

by Craftgawker


Instead of a tree topper I could use a large ribbon or even a star made from cardboard cereal boxes.

found on Chaotically Creative

Maybe we won't do lights outside this year?  Maybe just a single, battery-operated candle will bring calmness to our house this year?

Of course, I will be shopping sales for the baking supplies for cookies, candies, and pies. 

As for the gift exchanges for kids, allow me to step onto my soapbox.  Last year I created an uproar when I posted a rant about kids having to exchange gifts in classrooms and at activities on my Facebook page.  Having seven kids meant that if each one had to provide a $10 gift at two functions that would be $140 for us.  What was so bad was that the kids could not have cared less about what they gave.  There was no thought process.  It was just "I need a $10 gift for Tuesday after practice, what do you have around here that might work?"  or "Can you pick up a $10 gift card so I can get a $10 gift card during math class next week?"  What the?  HOLD ON!!!

So I ranted on and on and on.  What was meant to be a discussion starter really hurt some of my good friends' feelings because they had initiated gift exchanges in their classrooms and in groups they lead.  I should have handled the situation and  my perspective in a different way as my intent was not to hurt people but to help families with real needs.

I suggest that parents and older teens ask NOW if a gift exchange may be happening in whatever groups or classes or activities they are involved in this semester.  As a parent, this year, I'm going to be proactive and email the sponsors and suggest that either the group do a volunteer project or donate to an angel tree instead.  I know that the Varsity Cheerleaders would love adopting a few little girls to buy gifts for or spend an afternoon baking goodies for the fire station.  The same can be said of scouting groups and Sunday School classes.  I even plan to suggest that my Ladies Sunday School class, who usually has a White Elephant Exchange, donate the money instead to a ladies' ministry group that we know is in need of basic items for their Mercy House.  But, don't wait.  Start talking now.

Get your kids and family involved in looking at your holiday expenses list and find ways around the limitations.
  Limitations will become blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment