Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Christmas on a Tight Budget: Take time to Observe

Before you decided what gifts you will actually write down for all the people you love in your family, in your circle of friends, and gifts for other people's children, take a couple of days and observe and really notice them as an individual.

For me, this means I'm observing my husband, each of my children, my sisters, and a few close friends.  Now this isn't some covert, CIA investigation but rather just a time to really engage with each one and see what floats their boat.  Just because your daughter really liked "One Direction" last summer doesn't mean they are the same group that she listens to 24/7 today.  Likewise, last year your husband may have longed for a certain shiny, electronic item but maybe he has moved on and is focused on a new hobby this year.

Of course, some people are known for their hobbies, standards, and collections of things that they love.  Some people love certain items and we know that about them.  My grandpa loves cashews and I always include a can with his gift.  I have one daughter that loves shiny, stud earrings.  She will get a pair in her stocking. 

What's the point of this week of observing?  Hopefully, this year, Christmas gifts will have significant meaning for each of the people we choose to bless with a gift from us.  Something that shows how much we love them and know them and want to bless them.  Not just another a gift card we picked off the spinning rack because it was the last dang minute and we have to be at Aunt Sally's house in an hour!  Not another trinket that will end up in next summer's yard sale.

For my little kids I'm going to try to notice what toys or activities they chose on their own to play with this week.  What items do they keep going back to?  Who's their favorite character?  When they have quiet, alone time what type of books do they choose?  When allowed to watch TV, what shows do they watch?

For my older teens I will try to have conversations about what new trends they like in music and clothes.  I will ask what's the latest songs they've downloaded, I'll look at their viewing history on Netflix and the DVR.  I will ask if there is some place they've been wanting to go and see or go and do.

Here's a worksheet to help you observe your family and loved ones this week. 


"It is better to give than to receive." 
Let's make this more true this year than ever before when we observe and carefully select gifts on purpose with purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment