Monday, November 17, 2014

Four Frugal Things We Did This Week to Save Money

I am trying to cut back on everything we use regularly.  Cutting back means I have to get creative on my already low budget.  Here's a few things we did this week:

1.  We are using less tea bags

Sweet tea is a staple at our house.  My kids' friends come over and have a tall glass and always rave about how good it is.  All of my girls know how to make tea so that is our go to choice, other than water.  Winn-Dixie puts the Luzianne 24 count family size tea bags on BOGO special regularly and I only buy it when it is on sale.

But, when we go through a gallon (sometimes two) per day those 24 count boxes only last us one week.  With 52 weeks in a year times around $2.00 per box on sale, that's a cost of around $10 per month in tea bags. 

In order to cut back on that price I am now reusing two teabags per gallon. Here's how that works.  Initially I added 4 tea bags as usual.  Instead of tossing those 4 bags I put two each into a ziptop baggie and placed them in a drawer of the refrigerator.  Then next go around, I pulled out two of them, added two fresh tea bags and made tea.  No noticeable difference at all.  I then threw out the original two bags.  By doing this method I have reduced my tea bag useage to basically half.  Instead of 4 tea bags per day, we are using two.  That a savings of $60 per year.  That may not seem like much money but for no noticeable difference in taste and no more effort at all it is worth it to me. 

2.  We still  haven't turned on the heat.

Here in Florida we are said to have "thin blood".  Highs in the upper 50's mean we are freezing, people!!  There have been a few of those days so far and we are expecting out first freeze later this week. 

How are we staying warm? 
We are using our fireplace with free to us firewood that we salvaged from cut down trees in our neighborhood this summer.  We are wearing thick socks, long sleeves, and drinking our tea warm instead of cold.  Blankets are at the ready in every room in the house, great for snuggling up to watch TV or read a book. 

When the temps drop to freezing later this week we will add more blankets to our beds, roll up some towels to go in the window sills, and close off our bedrooms while we stay warm in the living room by the fireplace.  This is my little plan for "cozy togetherness" with my five teenagers who would probably rather freeze than spend hours at a time with mom and dad. 

3.  We stocked up on canned veggies

Dollar General ran a 3 day special on Libby's canned vegetables for 3 for $1.00.  Our DG was out after only being open for about 30 minutes so I price matched at Walmart.   I bought a total of 180 cans. 

4.  We (I) Decorated for Christmas with items I already had and our artificial tree

I usually decorate the house the weekend before Thanksgiving but this year that is not possible due to family plans.  I took advantage of the Veterans Day holiday when my kids were home from school to decorate the tree and drag the boxes out of the attic.  Lots of helping hand that day made for a great time.  It wasn't our usual tradition but it worked fine. 

We have a 7.5 foot artificial tree that I bought two years ago on clearance.  Although I love the smell and look of a real tree, paying upwards of $50 each year is not possible at this time.  Every year I ask the garden manager at Walmart if I can have some of the cuttings from their trees.  They are happy to oblige every year and I walk out with a whole garbage bag full of those wonderful cuttings.  I will use those on the mantel, on the bookcases and anywhere else that I can add a bit of green. 

How did you save money this week?

4 comments:

  1. That's nice the you can use the cuttings. I would love to do that and I have heard about it many times, but we have an artificial tree for two reasons: one is to save money, and the other is because I am allergic to real ones! So, no cuttings for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just me and the Bill at home. I only use 2 teabags (family size) to make a gal of tea. I simmer (don't boil) the teabags when done, pour in the pitcher. Then I simmer again, pour into pitcher and squeeze out bags. I use the stove the hubby uses the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. popping in from the prudent home maker blog i love reading frugal accomplishments, it keeps me motivated to keep trying....i am impressed you guys are surviving and doing the no heat. I was wishing today that we still had a fire place...but we don't...for the freeze we caved and turned on the heat...it's at 68. We live in Florida too....I am considering putting electric blankets on the bed and turning the heater down...but presently we have a house full of 11 instead of our usual 4 and i don't know what everyone else will agree to.

    ReplyDelete