Monday, August 11, 2014

Last Week's Frugal Accomplishments

I read and follow Brandi from "The Prudent Homemaker" blog.  Each week she posts her Frugal Accomplishments.  It is amazing the ways to save money and of course I can't remember everything that we did but here's a taste of what was frugally accomplished last week at the Hopkins's house.

Sunday:
~I went with my husband, Chris, and son to return clothing they had bought on Saturday that did not fit well.  They didn't try them on first.  I knew that they would both be gone all week for band camp and then tired next weekend.  So off we went.

~I used a 20% discount code to buy an already on clearance dress at JC penney for $25, instead of $60.  I need a few new church outfits and I loved the nautical knot pattern in my favorite colors of blue and grey.  Samantha even approved!

~I reused a piece of aluminum foil that was covering a bowl of leftovers.  I shared those with the baby girl for lunch and washed the bowl.  Then after supper I reused the bowl and the foil for a cover.  Maybe I can keep this up for a few days to actually encourage the eating of the leftovers!

~Chris  wanted to run to Walmart to pick up travel size toiletries for band camp.  I reminded him that we have a slew of travel stuff from recent trips plus a cabinet full of full-sized items.  Between both they were set with everything they needed.

~Reused shelves from my classroom for my back porch and some outside porch only toys.

Monday-  I have no idea what went on Monday!

Tuesday:
~While in Gainesville, I stopped by the bread store and bought lots of loaves and rolls marked down to $.50 each.  Some we will eat right away, a few others went into the freezer for next week.

Wednesday:
~~ Deep cleaning the bathroom with baking soda and blue Dawn dish soap solution

~~Reused two of Chris's no longer matching thick, white, ankle socks as my "rags" of choice.  They slip right over my hands making it possible to clean with both hands at once.  They are fabulous for cleaning around the sink and faucet.

~Salvaged a baggie full of lettuce from the nearly eaten, mostly forgotten iceburg in the refrigerator.  Will make at least two more sandwich toppings.

~Washed and dried some rugs outside while the kids played in the kiddie pool

Thursday:
~Added a bit of water to my conditioner bottle to get the last bit out.  Some of this lids can be difficulty but just twist until they pop off.  Just because the conditioner was cheap or free doesn't mean I shouldn't still try to get every drop out of it.

~Toothpaste is almost gone so I carefully folded from the bottom to get more to come to the top.

~Ate leftover chicken and dumplings for lunch

~Watched a braiding video on Youtube to try a new style bun for Ciarra's hair for dance class.

Friday:
~Entered all my recent mycokerewards that I have collected from all the BOGO Powerades we've recently bought.

~Entered my Kellogg's reward codes from all of our recent BOGO cereals and BOGO Eggo's

Saturday:
~Shopped sales with coupons and spent $25.00 at Walmart.  Uploaded my receipt to Checkout51 for $1.50 on milk and a bonus $1 for a special code I received from them.

~Uploaded same receipt for a free movie ticket for buying Freshchetta pizza.

~Used up some fresh peaches that I had bought at the fruit stand on Monday in a peach cobbler. 

5 comments:

  1. Thank mama! I know at least one person reads my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts and plan to use some of your frugal ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog has inspired me to try harder next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hit or miss on here, but I always find your comments practical and useful. Great job.

    ReplyDelete